Monday 5 December 2011

Some remarkable tree books!

Here is a list of tree books that I have come across.

Getting Acquainted with the Trees (1904) by J. Horace McFarland
This is a quaint exploration of some common American trees that I found online using my book reader.
Despite the fact that it was written over 100 years ago the writing is very clear and easy going-some books can be bogged down with technical details or purple prose, not so this book. It even has photos taken by the author in each chapter!
Here's a link to download it:
Getting Acquainted with the Trees

The Secret Life of Trees (2005) by Colin Tudge
This is a superb book on every aspect of trees and one which I am still dipping into! The first section deals with the famlies of trees, later sections deal with the socio-cultural aspect of trees and other matters. Highly recommended!


Meetings With Remarkable Trees (1997) by Thomas Packenham
This is a fabulous book, full of colour photos of noteworthy trees but so much more than simply a coffee table book, and the inspiration for this blog's title! Superb book.


Wildwood: A Journey Through Trees (2008) by Roger Deakin
I had heard about this book and so bought a copy from Waterstones last year. I have yet to read it but from what I've heard about it I will surely enjoy it!

Trees of Britain and Northern Europe - Collins Field Guide (1978)
by Alan Mitchell
This is an ID guide to all the trees youre likely to come across in the UK, both wild trees and those found in parks or arboreta. Excellent!

No comments: